To ensure the safety of all pupils during their driving lessons a number of additional measures have been put in place due to Covid-19, these are in addition to the usual Terms and Conditions. Each pupil will be contacted the day before the lesson to check that neither they, or any of their household, have any symptoms of the coronavirus. They will be able to do this via an online questionnaire which must have been completed for their lesson to go ahead. If a pupil does have symptoms then their lesson will be rearranged for a later date, which will be at least 2 weeks after their cancelled lesson.
The following will also apply to all lessons:
- If a pupil or a member of their household has symptoms of Covid-19 then the normal 48 hour cancellation fee will be waived. This will only apply to pupils that fall in to this category.
- Each pupil will have their temperature taken with a non-contact infra-red thermometer. If their temperature is outside the normal range then the lesson will not go ahead and will be rearranged for a later date. The 48 hour cancellation fee will be waived.
- All pupils should wash their hands before the lesson and immediately afterwards. Hand sanitiser will also be available for pupils to use and this must have been used before the pupil is allowed to enter the vehicle.
- If pupils wish to wear gloves then they may do so and must put them on before entering the vehicle. The gloves should be new and not have been worn previously.
- Face coverings must be worn by the pupil during the lesson. The pupil is responsible for ensuring they have their own face covering which must fit snugly and not have any gaps between the material and their face. Medical exemptions for not wearing a face covering will need to be discussed with the instructor before the lesson. If a pupil attends a lesson without an appropriate face covering, or exemption, then the lesson will be cancelled and the 48 hour cancellation fee will apply. This guide by the BBC provides more details on how to wear a face covering.
- During the lesson the car windows will be kept open to allow for better ventilation.
- There will be no sharing of materials on the lesson to reduce contact between the instructor and the pupil.
- No cash payments will be accepted in the car to reduce contact between the instructor and the pupil. Details of contactless payments will be provided to the pupil ahead of their lesson.
- The pupil should meet the instructor at the car to avoid the instructor having to go to the front door.
- The number of lessons per day have been reduced to allow time for the instructor to thoroughly clean the car between each pupil. This will include contact points such as the steering wheel, gear stick, mirrors, door handles etc. Car seat covers are also being used so that these can be cleaned between each pupil.
- On driving tests the instructor will clean the car before and after use by the examiner.
- The instructor will deep clean the car at the end of each day.
- Driving lessons will be cut short if either the pupil or the instructor become unwell during the lesson.
- Lessons may also be cancelled at the discretion of the instructor if they are not 100% happy with the wellbeing of the pupil.
It is important, for everyone’s safety that you do not attend a driving lesson if you:
- are unwell or showing symptoms of Covid-19
- if you are self-isolating
- or believe you have been in contact with someone who has symptoms of Covid-19
Thank you for your support and understanding during this time.